Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Curriculum Connections - Module #5

I am really excited about making curriculum connections between what I do in the library and disabilities.  I feel that most people separate themselves from people with disabilities for the main reason that they don't know how to act around them.  I am so glad for the Discovering Assistive Technology program.  I learned so much more than just assistive technology.  I feel like I have a better understanding of the person (who has a disability).  This program just increased my compassion for others and my desire for everyone to have the resources needed to live and function the best way possible.  I want to be able to share those things with my students.

I am glad that the California School Library Association created a recommended reading list of books about people with disabilities.  I had read some of the books on the list before, but the one that stuck out in my mind was Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson.  It is about a girl who has Cerepral Palsy and attends camp for the first time as a teenager.  I have a weakness for teenage camp books, so I really enjoyed the book.  But most of all, I enjoyed reading about this girl and understanding her a part from her disability.  She had the same hopes and dreams that I had as a teenager, and the book helped me to look at the person and think about them as I want people to think about me.  I highly recommend the book for teenagers (and adults).

I would also highly recommend the Assistive Technology Tutorial.  My only suggestions would be to break up some of the week's workload into more manageable chunks - like the 23 things program, and to make sure all the links are working or replaced with links to other sites.  Ultimately, I am amazed with all I have learned through this course.  I am grateful to the California School Library Association for making these programs available to everyone.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is important that students have a chance to read about characters that have disabilities. It allows students to understand what others go through and helps them to be sympathetic towards others. I read several books on the list over the summer, and it really opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete