Monday, November 23, 2009

Software - Module #3

Learning about the different types of assistive technology has been very eye opening.  I enjoyed exploring the different software.  I had heard of Inspiration before, and have seen my kids use Kidspiration in their classrooms at school, but I really didn't know that much about it.  I downloaded the 30 day trial and am hoping to create some graphic organizers for the library.  I watched the videos about Inspiration and Kurzweil 3000 and am very impressed at all they could do.  I was most impressed with the accessibility features on Windows Vista, my current operating system.  I couldn't believe all the options and was surprised that I didn't even know they were there before this course. 

You can look at my Software Evaluation Rubric to see detailed information about the different software I read about this week.

There are so many different possibilities on implementing assistive technology into the classroom.  I liked looking at the California State Library website and looking at what is available.  I think publicizing accessibility information is a great idea.  Many times, as in the case of my operating system, people just don't know there is anything out there to help them.  As a librarian, the best way to begin implementing assistive technology is to understand the population that uses the library.  If there are students that need assistance in utilizing the library, I would look at what I could do to accomodate them.  The biggest obstacle is money.  While there are inexpensive things that can be effective, such as bigger signs, using different teaching styles, making aisles wide enough, and providing handouts for lessons and directions; special hardware and software can be rather pricing.  Creating a needs assessment would help to make sure that the resource requested fits into the library's and school's technology plan and would be appropriate for those using the library.

1 comment: