Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Week #9 Thing #21

Podcasts are something I've heard about, but I've never subscribed to one before.  I was excited to start using them.  After reading week 9's instructions, I went to the Yahoo tutorial link.  I was disappointed to see that Yahoo didn't provide podcasts anymore.  I then headed over to YouTube to look at one of my favorite learning devices: Podcasting in Plain English.  Then, I checked out the three links given to find podcasts:
1.  Podcast.com
2.  PodcastAlley.com
3.  Educational Podcast Directory

I spent a lot of time on these sites.  Because listening to podcasts was something I've never done before, I really didn't know where to start.  I just kept browsing around and checking out different categories to see if anything caught my eye.  I finally decided on setting up an account on Podcast.com.  I subscribed to Young Adult Literature Reviews.  I thought that would be a great way to keep up-to-date in young adult literature.  I think podcasts can be a great asset to the classroom.  We are so used to watching videos, I think listening can be great for sparking the imagination and enhancing listening skills.  Check out the link below to hear the podcast I chose! Also, I think it's great that podcasts have an RSS feed that can be put right into my Google Reader - now I will know when there's a new episode without going to the actual site!



I also would love to have students create their own podcasts!  There are so many tutorials on creating great podcasts with minimal equipment.  Learning becomes so alive and personal when students can create their own work and become part of the teaching process.

No comments:

Post a Comment